UP Centennial Celebration
The University of the Philippines Centennial Celebration is a series of activities, programs, and events that will be held throughout 2008 in the entire University of the Philippines (UP) System to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the Philippines' premier institution of higher learning. The culmination of this celebration is the UP Grand Centennial Alumni Homecoming and Reunion to be held on June 21, 2008 at the Araneta Coliseum in Cubao, Quezon City.
Prelude to the UP Centennial Celebration
On June 7, 2005, UP President Emerlinda R. Roman presented UP Plan 2005-2011 to President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and the members of the Cabinet. This plan is a list of programs and projects that Roman's six-year administration plans to implement and includes three major components – strengthening UP’s stature as a center of excellence and culture, transforming UP into an efficient university, and commemorating the UP Centennial. Of the three, the one given immediate concern was the celebration of UP's centennary. In this regard, Roman requested President Arroyo to declare the year 2008 as "UP Centennial Year."
Proclamation Number 913
On September 6, 2005, President Arroyo issued Proclamation Number 913 declaring the year 2008 as the "University of the Philippines Centennial Year". Included in the Proclamation are the provision of financial and logistical support for UP's centennial celebration in the form of the following:
- the allocation of 100,000,000 pesos from the national budget for UP Centennial projects, spread over three years (from 2006 to 2008)
- the creation of a presidential commission – which would later be established as the UP Centennial Commission – composed of UP alumni to formulate and implement a plan of activities for the centennial celebration
- a directive to the Postmaster General for the design, printing, and issuance of a special stamp commemorating the UP centennial
Executive Order Number 537
Along with Proclamation Number 913, President Arroyo also issued Executive Order Number 537 which paved the way for the establishment of the UP Centennial Commission. Heading the Commission are Edgardo Angara as chairman, Magdaleno B. Albarracin as vice chairman, and Benjamin C. Sandoval as executive director. A host of other UP alumni from various sectors of UP, public and private sectors, and Filipinos living abroad are members of the Commission.
UP Centennial Symbols
Running-up to the Centennial Year itself (2008), a series of of projects and activities had already been launched by the UP System and the different constituent universities.
UP Centennial Logo
Among the very first projects initiated for the centennial celebration was the UP Centennial Logo-design contest in 2005 which was eventually won by Ringer Manalang, an architect and an alumnus of UP Diliman. The logo will be included in all visual materials and presentations of the various centennial activities and events of the UP System.
Manalang's design incorporated three important elements that symbolize UP:
- the Oblation – in the foreground of the logo; the iconic symbol of UP that captures the youth sacrificing itself in the service of the country
- the Sablay – the sash worn by graduating UP students with inscribed Alibata symbols for "UP"; represents the university's commitment to remain as the Philippines' premier institution of higher learning
- a globe with a highlighted map of the Philippines – represents UP taking its rightful place in the world as the National University of the Philippines
Manalang also used UP's official colors – forest green and maroon – for most parts of the logo; as well as the color yellow for the Alibata inscription on the Sablay.
UP Centennial Theme
The theme for the UP Centennial celebration, "UP: Excellence, Service, and Leadership in the Next 100 Years" was approved during the seventh meeting of the UP Centennial Commission on April 25, 2007. It will be used in all projects, activities, and events related to the year long celebration.
In 2007, The Oblation, the official newsletter of the UP Centennial celebration, was launched. This newsletter will disseminate all UP centennial-related information.
Commemorative Stamps and Notes
Aside from stamps that the Philippine Postal Corporation will print, the UP Centennial Commission also proposed to the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) that commemorative coins and bills be minted as part of the centennial celebration. The BSP approved the proposal and assured that the Oblation will be overprinted on 100 peso bills that will be circulated in 2008.
UP Centennial Year (2008)
On January 8, 2008, the University of the Philippines launched the year long centennial celebration with the UP System Centennial Kick-Off, a series of activities participated in by the UP administration, education officials, faculty members, students, alumni, and prominent UP personalities. The event began with a mass and a program at UP Manila – the original site of UP – followed by a motorcade that ended at UP Diliman. Those who took part in the motorcade were met by contingents from the other UP Constitutent Universities who joined the scheduled programs for the day.
Highlights of the kick-off celebration include the following:
- prominent UP alumni and personalities carrying torches around the UP Academic Oval
- the participation in the torch parade of 100-year old civil engineer and UP alumnus (batch 1933), Fernando Javier of Baguio City
- UP President Roman lighting the UP Centennial Cauldron in front of the Oblation Plaza
- concert featuing the UP Madrigal Singers, UP Pep Squad, UP Jazz Orchestra, UP Concert Chorus, UP Symphonic Orchestra, UP Symphonic Band, Ryan Cayabyab, and Nanette Inventor
- fireworks display
The centennial kick-off celebration will be followed by major activities and programs throughout the centennial year itself of UP. Click on a specific activity or event below to read the related Wikipilipinas article.
- 100 Kwentung Peyups
- UP Centennial Distinguished Alumni Awards
- UP Centennial Celebration Launching
- UP Centennial Gawad Likhaan
- UP Centennial Lecture Series
- UP Centennial Musical
- UP Centennial Songwriting Competition
- UP Grand Centennial Alumni Homecoming and Reunion
- UP System Centennial Digital Festival and Filmmaking Competition
- 100 Kwentong Peyups
- UP Centennial Commission
- UP Centennial Fellows
- UP Centennial Lecture Series
- UP Centennial Theme
- WikiWorx:UP 100
- All Systems Go (Accessed on March 6, 2008)
- Grand Centennial Alumni Homecoming and Reunion to be held at Big Dome (Accessed on March 6, 2008)
- Proclamation Number 913 (Accessed on March 6, 2008)
- Program of Activities for the UP System Centennial Kick-Off (Accessed on March 7, 2008)
- Projects Take Off As Centennial Approaches (Accessed March 3, 2008)
- UP kicks off Centennial Year (Accessed on March 7, 2008)
- UP Plan 2005-2011 (Accessed on March 6, 2008)