National Scientists of the Philippines
The National Scientists of the Philippines are Filipinos who have been conferred the title, National Scientist, by the government of the Philippines through the initiative of the National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST). The title is the highest honor given to a man or woman of science in the Philippines who have made significant contributions in the different fields of the natural and social sciences and technology. These National Scientists are also recognized for their role in advancing science and technology education and research in the country.
National Scientists receive the Presidential medallion called, the Order of National Scientist. Cash prizes, monthly life pension (similar to that given to National Artists), and medical and hospitalization benefits are the other incentives given to National Scientist awardees.
National Scientists of the Philippines from UP
Since 1978, the NAST has conferred the title of National Scientist to 31 men and women, with 11 of them still active in the academe. Thirty of the 31 National Scientists of the Philippines are alumni of the University of the Philippines (UP) with each awardee obtaining at least one degree (undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate) from the country's premier university. Gregorio Zara did not graduate from UP but was a student at the UP College of Engineering before obtaining a scholarship to study mechanical engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in the United States.
The following are the National Scientists of the Philippines with their respective field of specialization and year of conferment.
- Lourdes J. Cruz, PhD - Biochemistry and Molecular Biology - 2006
- Ricardo M. Lantican - Plant Breeding and Genetics - 2005
- Onofre D. Corpuz - Political Science and Philippine social and economic history - 2004
- Clare R. Baltazar, Ph. D. - Systematic Entomology - 2001
- Benito S. Vergara, Ph. D. - Plant Physiology - 2001
- Bienvenido O. Juliano, Ph. D - Organic Chemistry - 2000
- Gelia T. Castillo, Ph. D. - Rural Sociology - 1999
- Dolores A. Ramirez, Ph. D. - Biochemical Genetics and Cytogenetics - 1998
- Jose R. Velasco, Ph. D. - Plant Physiology - 1998
- Pedro B. Escuro, Ph.D. - Genetics and Plant Breeding - 1994
- Clara Y. Lim-Sylianco, Ph. D. - Biochemistry and Organic Chemistry - 1994
- Paulo C. Campos, M.D. - Nuclear Medicine - 1989
- Alfredo V. Lagmay, Ph. D. - Experimental Psychology - 1988
- Luz Oliveros-Belardo, Ph. D. - Pharmaceutical Chemistry - 1987
- Jose Encarnacion, Jr. Ph. D. - Economics - 1987
- Julian A. Banzon, Ph. D. - Biophysical Chemistry - 1986
- Dioscoro L. Umali, Ph. D. - Genetics and Plant Breeding - 1986
- Teodoro A. Agoncillo, Litt.D. (h.c.) - Philippine History - 1985 Posthumous
- Encarnacion A. Alzona, Ph. D. - Philippine History - 1985
- Hilario D. G. Lara, M.D., Dr. P. H. - Public Health - 1985
- Francisco M. Fronda, Ph. D. - Animal Husbandry - 1983
- Francisco O. Santos, Ph. D. - Human Nutrition and Agricultural Chemistry - 1983 Posthumous
- Carmen C. Velasquez, Ph. D. - Parasitology - 1983
- Geminiano T. de Ocampo, M.D. - Opthalmology - 1982
- Casimiro del Rosario, Ph. D. - Physics Astronomy and Metrology - 1982
- Gregorio T. Velasquez, Ph. D. - Phycology - 1982
- Fe del Mundo, M. D., M. A. - Pediatrics - 1980
- Eduardo A. Quisumbing, Ph. D. - Plant Taxonomy, Systematics and Morphology - 1980
- Juan S. Salcedo, Jr., M.D. - Nutrition and Public Health - 1978
- Alfredo C. Santos, Dr. Phil. - Physical Chemistry - 1978
- Gregorio Y. Zara, D. Sc. - Engineering and Inventions - 1978
- List of National Scientists. NAST Website. Accessed on October 1, 2007.
- Lee-Chua, Queena (2007). Luly Cruz, National Scientist. Philippine Daily Inquirer Website. Accessed on October 1, 2007.
- President Arroyo confers the Order of National Scientist to Dr. Ricardo M. Lantican. NAST Website. Accessed on October 1, 2007.